Struggling to learn about the basics of storing, freezing & washing the chicken? No more worries I got You.
Many people want to cook chicken at home. But they have many questions regarding the washing and freezing of the chicken. Even if some people are able to cook chicken at home they face issues. Like how to wash chicken properly? How to wash chicken keema? How to store chicken in the fridge or freezer? How to avoid chicken from bleeding while frying it? How long can chicken be kept in a freezer or fridge?
So, in this post, I’ll be addressing such most of the frequently asked questions about the Chicken.
How to wash Chicken/ Chicken Keema properly?
- If you just bought freshly cut chicken, then my advice is to soak it in water. This should be done for about 5-10 minutes.
- The soaking process effectively aids in removing the blood from chicken.
- If you bought frozen chicken then, of course, no need to soak it in water or even wash it.
- Now, if it is Chicken Keema use a strainer to wash it. Remember don’t soak chicken keema in water otherwise it will hold a lot of water. This will trouble you while cooking and might actually spoil your recipe.
YOU CAN ALSO PUT WHITE VINEGAR IN WATER WHILE WASHING THE CHICKEN BECAUSE IT REALLY AIDS IN REMOVING THE RAW CHICKEN SMELL.
How to Store Chicken in Fridge/ Freezer?
- The first thing to be learned before storing chicken is the difference between the fridge and the freezer. While the fridge has a temperature(0-5 degrees) which is alterable freezer’s temperature (minus 18) remains the same.
- Thus temperature gives the basic idea that for the longer shelf life of chicken go for the freezer. But in case you want to cook the chicken the very day you bought it, keep it in the fridge until you are set to cook it.
- Another thing to keep in mind is always washing the chicken then store it in the fridge/ freezer. Without washing and storing it directly we’ll make your chicken and also your fridge/ freezer smell awfully bad.
- Always keep the chicken in a proper container covered with a lid. Because if kept in an open container the smell of raw chicken might disperse into the other food items.
NOTE: The above instructions are for freshly purchased chicken. So, if it is frozen chicken than follow the instructions written on the label.
How to avoid the bleeding of chicken while frying it?
- Often we have heard people saying that their chicken bleeds while frying even though it was washed properly.
- It is actually not the blood but a component of blood called myoglobin. This pinkish liquid retained in the chicken that has more muscles.
- So the solution is to brine your chicken. In this process, chicken is soaked into salty water rather than plain water.
- Salt helps in removing excess blood and myoglobin from the chicken.
- Additionally, this will also enhance the flavor of your chicken.
How long can chicken be kept in a freezer or fridge?
- If speaking of raw chicken it can last up to 8-9 months in a freezer.
- While the raw chicken in a fridge has life for 1-2 days.
- Now, coming to the cooked chicken it can be kept in a freezer for 4-6 months.
- Cooked chicken can be kept for 3-4 days in a fridge.